Thursday, May 23, 2013

Corporate Event Photography

Two days ago I participated at a corporate event as the official photographer. It is actually the first time I will also get paid for taking photos - yey for me and may this new "tradition" last forever! It is the second time I take photos at this event, but last year I offered to do it for free (yes, this year I got greedy!). I took 321 photos and will have to deliver a total number of 40, of which below 1st one is my absolute favourite (this room had natural light coming in, while the main room had so little light, artificial - also, to get one thing straight: just because it is my favourite, I do not consider it perfect). I'm glad I snapped all those 321, low-light photography is a bitch , for me, quite difficult, so now I'm covered and have enough material in order to pick the best stuff. On top of that, it was the first time I used an external flash, so I was pretty clueless when it came to flash settings (note to self: time to do some serious investigations on flash photography!). In the end, it seems I've managed to snap both terrible shots and good/very good ones, so I'm pleased with the result, but there's definitely room for better! Any pro's around here to share tips and tricks?



For bigger size, click on the photos.

11 comments:

  1. That first one is so excellent! Sorry I don't have any tips - I don't even know what the different settings on my camera do (blush)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the club, Mila!
    Taking photos from events or exhibition shows is in the meanwhile part of my job as training manager of a midsized, internationally acting company of approx. 2000 employees.
    It's far away from being a simple task as many people think. You have to be fit and attentive to the point all day long - and as a result everybody expects a bundle of superb photos (although the light situation on location is generally more or less a desaster). Here it really matters if you use high quality cameras and especially lenses with a suitable aperture. Using a flashlight is normally a no-go. With a point-and-shoot camera (or even a smartphone) you are sold down the river... :-)
    In the meanwhile I was able to collect a great experience in this subject of photography and I'm proud to see my results are as good as the results of the professional photographer using a similiar equipment.
    It looks like you did a good job, Mila So go out and try to find the next (payed) one.
    Uwe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Mila! That's a pretty big deal:) Here's to many many more gigs coming your way. And I love the first shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo, la cat mai multe. :)
    Eu stau slab rau la teorie, la practica o bajbai si imi iese mai mult la ghici, dar nu, nu pot fi un exemplu s nici sa dau sfaturi in acest sens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on this great custom ...! Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When taking photos during an event, I normally use a monopod in combination with my NIKON SLR to get a much better stability (= less camera shake, longer exposure time), especially in combination with the telephoto lens it's mandatory! I adjust the ISO speed in that way (bewteen ISO 200 - 2000) depending on the amount of light on my main motif that I get at least a shutter of 1/50 to 1/80s), especially if I take portraits of the speaker.
    And not to confuse the speaker and not to disturb the event, I normally don't use any flashlight!
    When using the wide angle lens the shutter speed can be much longer. Sometimes I use the tripod, too. Especially when taking panorama photos (put together later with Photoshop) out of two to five singe shots.
    The first photo in this post is such a pano - put together from five single photos:
    http://you-wee-because.blogspot.de/2013/05/sigmundskron-castle-messner-mountain.html
    May you do well!
    Uwe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Mila!!
    A very well-deserved assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous!! this is such a great project! thanks so much for sharing! I like your project on corporate event photography.

    ReplyDelete