Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Beauty Post Nr. 2

Continuing Beauty Post #1 with..

HAIR

My little obsession, that is.. 
So, my hair is naturally wavy and currently in between lengths. Medium length you could say. And sort of messy. My hubby once called it "mop hair" and I fully agreed.
I think my hair is now normal and healthy, which might not have been the case in the past. I have a huge history of hair colors - during my student years I tried lots of shades, I was blonde (horrible), brunette (too dark for my skin tone), I tried light and dark browns, various red shades, highlights.. you name it. Then I calmed down and just let it be natural, until I moved to Finland and once again decided I wanted to be blonde (you know, to blend in). Couple of hours of bleaching and hair coloring later (at the salon), there I was, Goldilocks. Did I like the result (hay-like, brassy yellow hair)? NO. God NO! It looked horrid, hence I bought a darker blonde tone and dyed my hair again (at home). That only opened the way to more colors, so these past 2 years I've again been trying.. well pretty much all the shades mentioned above.. until my hair got into quite a bad shape, so I decided to chop it all off. I opted for a pixie and loved it, and currently I have what you would call a "mid length wavy bob", which can be converted to a curly one when I use my Remington CIF75 19mm Tong, or straight when I use my mini Babyliss flat iron. I'm only touching up the roots now, every 2-3 months, sometime using ammonia-free products, and I've started using hair care products on a regular basis.

I managed to pile up quite an amount of hair products, I won't list all of them, but a peek into my cabinet would reveal, among others, the following:
Syoss Heat Protecting Styling Spray - thumbs down (makes hair sticky, kind of)
Taft Instant Volume Powder - thumbs down (in fact, the most horrible product I've ever used, makes hair and hands sticky, looking greasy and dirty)
Nizoral shampoo, if dandruff kicks in - thumbs up
Batiste and Four Reasons Hair Powder dry shampoo - thumbs up
Cutrin Matt Wax - thumbs up
So I've got plenty, but only use small amounts, as I hate product build up (I wash my hair 3 times a week, so there shouldn't be too much build up anyway).
I got a Tangle Teezer (ca. 14 EUR), but still brush my hair using a wide tooth comb worth of 1 EUR, and I often resort to DIY hair masks (usually egg, honey and olive or castor oil).

I trim the ends monthly/every 2 months at home (hubby does a great job!), but for "fancy" stuff I go to a salon. Based on my experience at hair salons (both cheap and expensive places), if you want just 1 cm chopped off, they'll always cut 2, and if you want ash blonde, you'll get yellow. Hence, although I love pampering, I am also a bit hesitant when going.

Et voila, cuts and colors from the past!

















9 comments:

  1. Your hair always looks so fashionable to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faci niste gropite <3
    Parul tau arata bine in orice culoare. Pielea capului meu e sensibil, nu prea merge orice, fac cojite periodic, dar ne-am obisnuit unul cu altul :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Mila, with every hair cut, you looked like a totally different person (in a good way, of course).
    I'm kinda like you...I've tried all cuts and colours, but yours have turned out better:) Imma gonna try some of your "thumbs up" if I find them here, esp. that macadamia one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good to know about the mask. I've done the coconut oil before as a mask and I did like it. TY for the suggestion, Milaaaaaaa:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great beauty post. Thanks for sharing the info.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful mosaic of self-portraits. My favorite is the picture of you with your dog. Have a nice weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair history sounds just like mine!!
    You look beautiful in every photograph here, but I especially LOVE the pixie!

    I wish you a wonderful weekend, Mila!

    ReplyDelete