Friday, March 1, 2013

Martisor (1St Of March)

On the 1st of March Romanian people celebrate the beginning of spring, and the symbol of this celebration is "martisor". Boys give this "amulet" (or cards and flowers) to us, girls, and we pin it on our clothes, "on display" until the 8th of March, when Mother's (Women's) Day is celebrated.

You can read more about this tradition here and see samples of "martisor" here. Although we don't celebrate this in Finland, I always get a card from my parents, which was the case this year too, the card arrived yesterday, happy days!



8 comments:

  1. La multi ani,frumoasa Mila!Ma bucur ca scrii despre traditiile noastre.Bravos!

    Te pup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I've never heard of martisor before and it sounds pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mila, I'm sick of snow! It's still cold here.:( Hope it's better there. And Happy Friday to you too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring isn't still here...
    Best regards from Paris,

    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  5. En mi país el 8 de marzo se celebra el Día de la Mujer y en octubre el Día de la Madre.¿Cómo está Pickles?.Un abrazo grande y feliz fin de semana!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful! I love that tradition and celebration ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! I love that tradition and celebration ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete